Are BOYS and GIRLS born BOYS and GIRLS?

Funny I never thought so.  I thought that most of that was nurture.  If you put a dress on a boy and treated him like a girl that he would act like one. 

Living in this day and age I didn't want my children to feel they had to fit some mould created for society.  Now I knew that it could make their live more challenging if they didn't conform but I wanted it to be their choice.  At first I bought gender neutral toys and then when we would go to a playgroups I would watch and see what toys they would choose and then nurture that.  A funny thing happened, Madison automatically gravitated to dresses and carried around a stuffed cat like a baby and played with girl type toys.  She will never wear pants and loves pink.  Now with Jack he has a older sister he idolizes and who dresses him in girl clothes and has made him love and learn all the lyrics to all 3 High School Musicals but he was born with a basketball in his hand.  He can throw better, understand what to do with toy cars better and loves trains and all while running around in a dress saying 'I a beautiful princess'.

So maybe they are pre-programmed but if they choose to play with gender opposite toys I don't worry.  I will follow their lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
A Canadian Stay-at-Home mom of 3 beautiful and awsome golden cupcakes. I have been a mom since 2005. This is the best job in the world but it is sure tough sometimes, don't you think? This is my journey.