Exclusively Pumping; Why is it any different than breastfeeding?

This is the question I ask myself as I spend hours a day pumping so that my son can have exactly what he would get from the boob but I don't have to want to die everytime he latches on.  Why is it that people don't think that I am doing just as good for my children by doing this than if I breastfed?

Other moms don't tell you the truth about breastfeeding.  How extremely painful it can be no matter what you try.  I am going to tell you, it can.  First I will dispell some myths about breastfeeding:
  1. Bigger boobs does not mean more milk.
  2. Bigger boobs makes it harder to get the baby to latch.
  3. Breastfeeding is not always more convenient.
  4. You will not be closer to your kids because you did breastfeed.
  5. Your children will not be healthier because you breastfed.
  6. You will not loose more weight breastfeeding unless you continue till the baby is more than 6 months old.
  7. Breastfeeding is not easy!
With Madison I tried but after 5 weeks I was desperate.  My nipples hurt so much that I cried everytime I latched her on and I was so tired because she was up every 2 hours that one night I gave her a bottle of formula and she slept 6 hours, yeah!  I was hooked.  Sleep was like a drug.  I still breast fed her as much as I could stand but I also supplemented with formula, especially at night.  I even bought a pump but never used it because I could barely produce enough to breastfeed.  I did this till 5 and a half months when my milk dried up.  I had already taken the motilium to increase the milk and it gave me really embarrassing gas.  After that she had formula exclusively.  With Jack I breastfed for 2 months before starting to pump and feed him but I didn't produce enough so I supplemented with formula and stopped pumping at 5 months and gave him formula till he was a year.  Now with Wyatt he has gotten the most breastmilk but not from the boob.  I only breastfed him for one day before pumping but this time I was prepared.  I had done research on women who had exclusively pumped so I was prepared.  He has had exclusively breastmilk and I have frozen about 1500oz because I plan to stop when he is 6 months old.  When that milk runs out I hope he won't have to go to formula but if he has to he will be fine.

If you choose to pump and feed here is a great website to help you Mother-2-mother but these are the key points:
  • Invest in a good tandem or double ELECTRIC pump.  I use Pump-in-Style from Medela but I have also used Ameda's Purely Yours.  Both are good.  Save yourself from having to wash the horns and bottles every pump by putting them in a Ziploc and then into the fridge, Then once a day disassemble and wash all pieces with HOT soapy water and dry in rack.
  • The first 8-12 weeks try to pump as much as you can.  I did every 2-3 hours or basically everytime Wyatt woke up to be fed I would feed him and then pump. I am now pumping 4 times a day and my son is 5 months.
  • Drink 8-16oz of water while you pump.
  • Your machine does not have to be on the fastest or strongest suction to be the most productive.  I start 5 min slow and low suction and then go to fastest for 5 min and then move the suction up to medium for the rest of the 25 min.
  • Make sure to pump at least one time between 1am and 5am as you make the most milk then.
  • Do not pump for less than 15 minutes but always 5 minutes past when your milk stops to stimulate more milk production.  I have been there for 45 mins at times.
  • Oatmeal, brewer's yeast and flaxseed help to increase breastmilk.  Here is a recipe for cookies that have all those ingredients but I use raisins instead of chocolate chips. Lactation Cookies  (Tip:  Buy brewer's yeast at a health food store as it is very expensive at the grocery store)
  • Make yourself a hands free pumping bra. Here is a website for instructions Hands-free pumping bra
  • Don't stress if you aren't producing alot at first it will improve.  If your milk drops it could be because of stress or your period.  I just add one or two more pumps for a few days to increase.
Good luck and remember it is YOUR choice and don't let the 'tit nazis' bulley you into breastfeeding if it is not for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
A Canadian Stay-at-Home mom of 3 beautiful and awsome golden cupcakes. I have been a mom since 2005. This is the best job in the world but it is sure tough sometimes, don't you think? This is my journey.