New or Used. I'll give you the skinny.

Well when Madison was born in 2005 Craigslist was not such a big thing and the Buy & Sell was kind of a pain to deal with so unless you knew people who had babies before you you kind of had to buy new or possibly find a consignment store.  But now with Craigslist in most areas and instant access to it online you can get some really great deals. 

For example, I bought 30 pieces of 6-9 month summer clothes for Baby Wyatt for $5.  They were in great shape because lets face it how long do they really wear the stuff.  I have a friend who has a little addiction to buying strollers and she has found some great stuff on Craigslist.  I bought the Miracle Blanket for $20 when it was new for $40 and it had been used 3 times. 

The other option is Kids Only Swap Meets in your local areas.  I have bought toys, a backpack carrier and a toilet all for $30.  I usually will only buy toys, toilets etc used that I can clean with bleach and hot water.  Clothes I wash with detergent and OxiClean or colour-safe bleach to get any stains I might of missed. The only thing I would be sure to check that it comes from a NON-SMOKING home because it is impossible to get the stink out no matter how much you wash stuff.

Personally if you are planning more than one kid I would buy a stroller new.  The following are things I prefer to buy new for safety or hygenic reason;
  • breastpump
  • crib mattress
  • sheets
  • mattress pads
  • soothers
  • bottles
  • plastic dishes and cups 
  • carseats 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
A Canadian Stay-at-Home mom of 3 beautiful and awsome golden cupcakes. I have been a mom since 2005. This is the best job in the world but it is sure tough sometimes, don't you think? This is my journey.